Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: aaa_base still vulnerable after upgrade

From: ma () DT E-TECHNIK UNI-DORTMUND DE (Matthias Andree)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 23:08:42 +0200

marc () suse de (Marc Heuse) writes:

Isn't it embarrassing to announce fixes which don't even touch the
_vulnerable_ packages?

it is true that the rpm does not fix the problem. the reason: the security
update rpm building failed for 6.2 for unknown reason, which will be
fixed.

I don't care why it failed. Fix the REASON for the failure.

The updates for 6.3 and 6.4 do work and fix this and another security
problem.
You can see that easily by a look at the filenames:

I see that the filenames are an obnoxious mess. 6.3 has "2000.1.3"
version names for a package built in April. I see that 2000 sorts BEFORE
99. This is annoying since it makes semiautomatic RPM updates from the
update directories on your servers a major hassle unless you're going to
implement AI parsers.

It expresses that SuSE still are not familiar with security, and they
do not regularly audit their programs for security issues.

thank you very much, but I think it is completely the other way around.

There is no point in discussing this. One simply does not code rm -f
$DEL_FILE, but rm -f "$DEL_FILE", or better, not even mess with so much
scripts if a simple find will do (see the announcement).

Still, SuSE 6.2 has an unfixed inetd.rpm (see
http://cr.yp.to/docs/inetd.html for a working exploit). The problem has
been reported here more than once. I did not check if this affects 6.3
or 6.4 as well since I don't run those versions.

touch "/tmp/x /etc/rc.config"

btw have you ever tried out this command? It won't work. A filename is not
allowed to have a slash in it's name ...

That's correct, I missed that (fails with 'no such file or directory'
since there is no "/tmp/x " directory here). Still, you can delete
things in the root directory, which is NOT correct, plus, the script
will not be able to delete files the names of which (-> "no such file or
directory") contain blanks.

--
Matthias Andree