Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: (debian) Re: suidperl; more

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:45:18 -0500

BTW: FreeBSD 4.0 isn't vulnerable (for a few reasons):

The First is the same as Debian:
suidperl calls /bin/mail (it's hardcoded) and FreeBSD uses /usr/bin/mail

Also, there is no /bin/bash.  If you install the bash package, it's
/usr/local/bin/bash

If I symlink /bin/mail --> /usr/bin/mail and modify the script so that
boomsh calls /bin/sh, this exploit does work with FreeBSD 4.0.

I've long since gotten rid of my FreeBSD 3.x and 2.x boxen, so I don't have
a good way to test old FreeBSD releases.  I'll try OpenBSD 2.7 and NetBSD
1.4.2 when I get home.  I'm guessing the recent releases of all *BSD are
probably not vulnerable due to the location of mail (and the fact that
/bin/bash doesn't exist, but any script kiddie can change the script to
/bin/sh).

Noah Dunker

Network Security Engineer
FishNet Security