Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FW: MacroMedia Flash/Shockwave plug-in on linux : memcpy overrun problem.

From: Chiaki Ishikawa <Chiaki.Ishikawa () PERSONAL-MEDIA CO JP>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:33:29 +0900

(I am "Bcc:"ing this to a few people who sent me
inquiries and suggestions.)

Here is a follow up to my own post several days ago.

Firstly, it turns out that macromedia does have a means of
bug reproting and discussion among the developers.

Technical Issues and Reporting Bugs
-----------------------------------

The Webplayers Discussion Group provides an open forum to discuss
technical issues regarding Macromedia Players. Also of interest are
the Flash, Flash Site Design, and Generator
DiscussionGroups. Macromedia Technical Support actively monitors these
groups, as well as hosting a community of users there. Descriptions
and links to these discussion groups can be found at:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/newsgroups.html

Bug reports may be sent to beta_flashlinux () macromedia com To allow us
to investigate reported bugs, please include the following
information:

1) Platform and version
2) Netscape version
3) Reproducible steps including a URL to the web site where the
   problem was encountered.

If we need further information about a bug, you will be contacted.  An
automated reply will be sent to assure you that we have received your
bug report.  Due to the volume of mail received we are not able to
individually respond to each report.

Now, more details and the result of experiment suggested by Solar
Designer.

Before proceeding, I would like to thank Sharif Nassar who pointed out
that I should be able to know the exact URL by using web proxy such
as squid or junkbuster when I access the problematic web pages.  By
using this method (which was indeed already set up on my PC, and I had
forgotten about the existence), I could find a couple of URLs that
contains flash/shockwave contents.

The slightly edited (to fit on narrow screen) raw squid log :

966180611.524 98883 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 526846 GET
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/conventions/flash/conv_intro/intro.swf
- TIMEOUT_DIRECT/www.washingtonpost.com application/x-shockwave-flash

966276649.312 4874 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 5870 GET
http://www.csmonitor.com/graphics/promos/dempromo.swf -
TIMEOUT_DIRECT/www.csmonitor.com application/x-shockwave-flash

The first one is the one that I mentioned at Washington Post site.
I didn't know I had accessed the second flash/shockwave page before.
Let us call the URLs as [1] and [2] respectively.
( URL [1] at Washington post., URL [2] at Christian Science Monitor.)

Solar Designer:
libsafe depends on all components of programs you use to be compiled
with frame pointers.  If gcc's -fomit-frame-pointer was used on at
least one source file in at least one software component (such as a
browser plug-in), then libsafe's checks do the wrong thing and you
may in fact be introducing DoS possibilities by using libsafe.

I should have known this.

Have you tried visiting this URL without libsafe installed?  If it
still causes a crash, then you really have something to report.

Now, as suggested by Solar designer, I did the experiment.
I removed the loading of libsafe before running netscape/flash plug-in
to access the above URLs and compared result.

Result.
                        No libsafe.             With libsafe.

Access to URL [1]       Seems to be OK.         Aborted by libsafe.

          URL [2]               OK.                     OK.

The URL [2] seems to contain much smaller flash data and
netscape/flash plug-in had no problem with/without libsafe in handling it.
A little strange but such is life. I would appreciate any
true/false confirmation from people using linux for x86.

The URL [1] caused the abort by libsafe as reported previously,
but when I removed libsafe from the dynamic library loading path,
netscape/flash plug-in seems to handle it without problem.
(Since the data is large, I only looked at the first part of URL [1].
After a minute or so of initial dynamic images,
the screen comes to a menu selection and pauses.
I could pick up the menu all right. I didn't investigate further.
With libsafe, netscape gets aborted before showing ANY images at all
after downloading ~500kb data .)

So as Solar Designer suggested there may be issues concerning the
compilation switches (especially the one that controls the
preservation of frame pointer) of netscape flash/shockwave plug-in and
libsafe.
What puzzles me is that URL [2] doesn't cause abort by libsafe.
But again, someone in the know can figure out if the problem with URL [1]
is genuine or libsafe artifact.

(OK, now I understand that IF one module of NETSCAPE is compiled
without frame pointer preservation, then such might cause the abort of
libsafe at a seemingly unrelated module.  Right?
But in this particular case, I think it is the plug-in module for
flash/shockwave since I only see this abort when flash/shockwave page
is accessed.)

--
     Ishikawa, Chiaki        ishikawa () personal-media co jp.NoSpam  or
 (family name, given name) Chiaki.Ishikawa () personal-media co jp.NoSpam