Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RH 6.1 / 6.2 minicom vulnerability

From: Fred Souza <cseg () KRONUS COM BR>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:34:29 -0300

On RedHat 6.1 and RedHat 6.2 boxes (I haven't found other distributions
vulnerable):

@(#)Minicom V1.83.0 (compiled Mar  7 2000)(c) Miquel van Smoorenburg

[lcamtuf@nimue lcamtuf]$ minicom -C foo
minicom: there is no global configuration file /etc/minirc.dfl
Ask your sysadm to create one (with minicom -s).

[lcamtuf@nimue lcamtuf]$ ls -l foo
-rw-rw-r--   1 lcamtuf  uucp            0 Aug 18 12:21 foo

Any file can be created anywhere with uucp privledges - it will follow
symlinks. Not nice on systems running uucp services.

  Agreed.  I've tested this on FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE, with minicom 1.83.1, and
  the file "foo" were created with the correct uid/gid, using the default
  umask.

--
This is what you get when you meet someone who has spent most of his/her entire
life, thinking.