Bugtraq mailing list archives

Microsoft Word documents that "phone" home

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () PRIVACYFOUNDATION ORG>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:52:51 -0400

Hi,

The Privacy Foundation has just released an advisory
on an issue that we discovered earlier this month
in Microsoft Word.  We found that it is possible to
embedded "Web bugs" in Word documents.  The Web bugs
allow the author of a document to track via the Internet
where a document is being read.  The trick could be used
to monitor leaks of confidential documents from a
organization to outsiders as well as detecting
copyright violations.  In addition, it is also
possible to place Web bugs in individual paragraphs
and detect when the text is copied from one Word
document to another.

The complete advisory is available at the Foundation's
Web site:

   http://www.privacyfoundation.org/advisories/advWordBugs.html

A demonstration "bugged" document for Word 97 and Word 2000
has been set up at:

   http://www.privacycenter.du.edu/demos/bugged.doc

We also found that Excel 2000 spreadsheet files and
PowerPoint 2000 slideshows can be "bugged" in the same
manner.

Richard

Richard M. Smith
Chief Technology Officer