Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FW: Remote DoS Attack in Eeye Iris 1.01 and SpyNet CaptureNet v3.12 Vulnerability

From: bind <bind () SUBTERRAIN NET>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:59:22 -0700

  Just to reaffirm the vulnerability found.  I recently tested this on my
test network against a pentium II 400 MHz with 64 Mb ram running Iris.  Using
the code provided by USSR labs, I was able to see the program crash after one
minute of flooding.

Remote DoS Attack in Eeye Iris 1.01 and SpyNet CaptureNet v3.12
Vulnerability

USSR Advisory Code:  USSR-2000052

Release Date:
August 31, 2000

Systems Affected:
Eeye Iris 1.01
SpyNet CaptureNet v3.12

THE PROBLEM:

The Ussr Team has found a problem in Eeye IRIS 1.01, There is a heap
memory buffer o
verflow in IRIS 1.01 that causes not only this network sniffing
program to crash,
but also to take system resources up to 100% usage, until it crashes.

The vulnerability arises after sending multiple udp connection to
random ports
on the host that IRIS or SpyNet CaptureNet is running.

The results of this will cause the following crash:
http://www.ussrback.com/iriscrash.jpg

SPECIAL NOTE:
That we take no responsibility for this code it is for educational
purposes only.

D.O.S Code:
Binary or source (console win32)

http://www.ussrback.com/iris101d.zip

Vendor Status:
Send me the advisory if you want, otherwise your wasting my fucking
time.

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Chief Hacking Officer
eCompany / eEye
T.949.349.9062
F.949.349.9538
http://eEye.com

SOLUTION:
Install Free Ethereal for win32, Ethereal is Open Source software
released under the GNU
General Public License. and it does the same thing
http://ethereal.zing.org/ ,or wait untill
Eeye fix this kind of attack.

Vendor   Url: http://www.eeye.com
Program  Url: http://www.eeye.com/html/Products/Iris/overview.html
Download Url: http://www.eeye.com/iris/iris101.exe
SpyNet   Url:
http://packetstorm.securify.com/sniffers/spynet/spynet312.exe

Related Links:

Underground Security Systems Research:
http://www.ussrback.com

CrunchSp Product:
http://www.crunchsp.com

To all of you security and hacking related enthusiasts out there,
come chat with us on our own IRC server:

irc.ussrback.com port: 6667 #ussrback

About:

USSR is a young company based in South America devoted to
research about computers, network security, and software
protection systems
One of the main objectives of USSR is to develop and implement new
security and protection systems based on our knowledge and
experience.

However, we believe that the way we implement security solutions,
can make a difference, CrunchSP is a good example.
In our day to day research we detect vulnerability issues in
different applications that we publish on our advisory board.

Most of USSR programmers and partners have more than 12 years
of experience in different computer based applications, with
great knowledge in high and low level programming languages.

For further information on USSR, feel free to contact us by email.

USSR has assembled some of the worlds greatest software developers
and security consultants to help us provide our customers this great
range of security services:

* Network Penetration Testing
* Security Application development
* Application Security Testing and Certification
* Security Based on Security Tools
* Cryptography
* Emergency Response Team
* Firewalling
* Virtual Private Networking
* Intrusion Detection
* Support and maintenance

Copyright (c) 1999-2000 Underground Security Systems Research.
Permission is hereby granted for the redistribution of this alert
electronically. It is not to be edited in any way without explicit
consent of Ussr. If you wish to reprint whole or any part of this
alert in any other medium excluding electronic medium, please e-mail
labs () ussrback com for permission.

Disclaimer:
The information within this paper may change without notice. We may
not be held responsible for the use and/or potential effects of these
programs or advisories.  Use them and read them at your own risk or
not at all. You solely are responsible for this judgement.

Feedback:
Please send suggestions, updates, and comments to:

Underground Security Systems Research
mail:labs () ussrback com
http://www.ussrback.com