Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AIM & @stake's advisory

From: Packet of Sweets <definitely () ANTISOCIAL COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:13:17 -0000

Hi all --

      Nine months ago in March, 2000, I
discovered the same vulnerability in AOL
Instant Messenger (back then the latest version
was 3.5.18??).  It was a
buffer overflow in AIM's "screenname="
command line argument that is passed
in via the "aim://" protocol of a browser.  I
notified AOL, then posted to
both BUGTRAQ and VULN-DEV.  My topic was
approved in both forums soon
after, but my thread gained little attention.  In
addition, AOL simply
ignored me.

      I didn't do anything about it for two
reasons.  First, my school workload
was too great at the time to worry about
anything else, and second, I
figured that between all the people on the lists,
if my topic was
significant, something would get done.  Since it
was basically ignored, I
concluded that I was just a newbie and I set off
everyone's "newbie
o'meter" with my post.  Then summer hit, and
well, you know....

      And to top it off, a week or two ago I
signed onto AIM for the first time
in months and remembered all this.  I made a
note to myself to investigate
again on a boring day.  I guess can cross that
off my to-do list!

      - Joe Testa

 No kidding Joe. Here it is, almost the exact same
(exploit code include -- no links to websites to
view it either, did they Greetz you backz :-/)