Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: J-Pilot Permissions Vulnerability

From: Judd Montgomery <judd () ENGINEER COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:26:40 -0500

Hi,

J-Pilot has always used the pre set umask when creating directories and
files, therefore I have never considered this to be a security risk.  It
is up to the system administrator or the user to set the umask to
his/her liking.  Setting the umask to something vulnerable is a general
system administration security risk and not a risk caused by the
applications that read it and abide by it.  This is how I have been
taught, however with the rise of easy to use Linux distros and the
amount of new users it may be wiser to have the default file permission
be safer than the umask suggests.

If someone can point me to an article, book, or something that changes
my mind I would be happy to change this.

Judd

"Ryan W. Maple" wrote:

Did you contct the vendor?  I have Cc:'d him on this as you make no
mention of it in your message.

I can verify this, and moreover it appears as if J-Pilot uses the users
umask:

[rwm@ryan rwm]$ umask
002
[rwm@ryan rwm]$ ls -la .jpilot
total 36
drwxrwxr-x    2 rwm      rwm          4096 Dec 13 13:44 .
drwxr-xr-x  100 rwm      rwm          8192 Dec 14 16:49 ..
- -rw-rw-r--    1 rwm      rwm             0 Dec 13 13:43 AddressDB.pc
- -rw-rw-r--    1 rwm      rwm           719 Dec 13 13:43 AddressDB.pdb

So the vulnerabiltiy is futhermore amplified if they are group-writable
and there is a malicious user in the same group.

Cheers,
Ryan

   Ryan W. Maple          "I dunno, I dream in Perl sometimes..."  -LW
   Guardian Digital, Inc.                     ryan () guardiandigital com