Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Report For Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 MSTask.exec odeerror

From: Rob Terry <RTerry () EXCEL COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:26:55 -0600

Uhmm..

Two things:

MSTASK.EXE is installed by IE5. Just did it, so I know.

It is in fact a replacement for the task scheduler, originally the scheduler
service. It changes the registry of the service from Scheduler to Task
Scheduler, and switches itself to auto. So if we can find out what this
problem is, and get to a point where we can fundamentally reproduce it, then
if a script can be installed locally and made to do this at every boot, not
one Who in Whooville trying to use that NT machine would be happy.

But even now, after installing just plain old IE5, I can't make the system
lock up by connecting to any of the 10xx ports that will talk to me.