Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: "The End of SSL and SSH?"

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright () WINTELCOM NET>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:45:42 -0800

* Perry E. Metzger <perry () PIERMONT COM> [001220 15:05] wrote:
Kurt Seifried in an article on SecurityPortal shrilly entitled "The
End of SSL and SSH?" claims that SSH needs a PKI to be secure.

The claim is that because people have built man-in-the-middle attack
software (see http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/) that can
intercept SSH sessions, that SSH is insecure. After all, if a MITM
attack happens, the user will be informed of this, and since the user
can choose to ignore the warning that a host key has changed and log
in, SSH must be fatally flawed. Without a PKI, Seifried claims, there
is no way to know if a host key is authentic.

This argument makes absolutely no sense to me.

The problem is simply one of the user interface allowing a user to
ignore a security failure. If a remote login utility using a PKI
prompted the user with "host key is not certified, log in anyway?", it
would be no better than SSH implementations. If A kerberized remote
login utility prompted a user with "remote key is incorrect, log in
anyway", it too would be no better.

If this is truly the extent of the flaw Mr. Seifried things requires a
full PKI to fix, I'd like to know why setting

StrictHostKeyChecking yes

isn't a near-complete fix to the "End of SSH" Mr. Seifried predicts.

Yes, there's a summary here:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=129878+0+current/freebsd-security

You can read Kurt's response to my initial complaint here:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=133111+0+current/freebsd-security

And yes, his prediction is based on the stupidity and carelessness of
users who are pavlovian trained to click/reply "YES, I don't care about
this problem" when confronted with a dialog box no matter how dire the
warning in the dialogue.

There's also no mention of using pgp or some other trusted mechanism
to distribute the known server keys in the article.

But, hey, with things like NAPTHA making headlines, who said anyone
wasn't entitiled to their 15 minutes? :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright () wintelcom net|alfred () freebsd org]