Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD remote root

From: Dan Harkless <dan-bugtraq () DILVISH SPEED NET>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:57:39 -0800

Jose Nazario <jose () biocserver BIOC CWRU Edu> writes:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Dan Harkless wrote:

This has been argued before, but many think that OpenBSD's policy of
not having a specific security announcement mailing list is rash and
is poor security policy.  It's great to say that someone should "check
the webpage more often", but obviously not everyone can watch it every
instant.

there is the list security-announce () openbsd org which works fine. its how
i first heard about the FPd problem. very low traffic.

Sorry, last time I checked out OpenBSD they didn't have such a list, and
rather forced you to actively check the web page, as the message I replied
to was suggesting.  This list must be pretty new -- I just checked out all
four OpenBSD mailing list archive sites, and none of them have an archive of
it.

i have said it before and i will say it again: you should be on every
security list your vendor puts out. nearly every vendor has one. some are
just busier than others.

Yup, agree completely.  Hopefully this post will alert some people to the
fact that that list exists now.

Dan Harkless                   | To prevent SPAM contamination, please
dan-bugtraq () dilvish speed net  | do not mention this private email
SpeedGate Communications, Inc. | address in Usenet posts.  Thank you.