Bugtraq mailing list archives

Microsoft Security Bulletin and mailer formats

From: Microsoft Security Response Center <secure () MICROSOFT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:52:58 -0800

The Microsoft Security Response Center is in the process of revising
the Security Bulletin mailer format (attached at the end of this
e-mail) and the Security Bulletin format.  Reasons for the changes,
as well as samples of the new formats, are available from the
following URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/newlook.asp

Feedback on both the mailer format and the bulletin format should be
sent to secfdbck () microsoft com

Regards,

Secure () Microsoft com

Below is text from above URL

At the Microsoft Security Response Center, our goal is to provide
customers with complete, timely and  useful information to help them
keep their systems secure. We periodically reassess our publications
and look for ways to improve them. We recently completed such a
reassessment, and have identified a  number of changes that we
believe will significantly improve the quality of the security
bulletins we  post on our web site, and the mailers that we use to
alert customers whenever a new bulletin is  released.

We have several goals in making these changes:

 - Make them useful to technical and non-technical readers alike. We
know that our readers have a  wide variety of technical expertise.
We've changed both the bulletin and mailer formats to let  readers
who aren't technical experts understand immediately what the issue
entails and what they  should do about it. We've also added a section
to the bulletin that speaks directly to technical  readers in the
language of a system administrator or IT professional.

 - Provide additional information. In response to customer
suggestions, we've added several new  sections to the bulletin. For
instance, we've added sections that cross-reference to
industry-standard vulnerability tracking databases, advise which
service packs the patches can be  installed on, and discuss the
availability of localized versions of the patches.

 - Ensure that customers always have the latest information. Security
bulletins are rarely static  documents. Instead, we update them
frequently - for example, to clarify a point or add  newly-discovered
information about the vulnerability. It's vital that our customers
always have  up-to-date information, and as a result, we're changing
the roles of the bulletin and mailer. We plan  to provide the bulk of
the information via the bulletin, since we can update our web site at
a  moment's notice, and use the mailer as a means of alerting
customers whenever we release a new  bulletin or significantly change
an existing one.

 - Eliminate redundancy and boilerplate. We've done our best to
streamline both the bulletins and the  mailers, and remove anything
that doesn't contribute to a clear, understandable discussion of the
vulnerability.

We've prepared a sample of the new bulletin format, using information
from a previously-released  bulletin.

 - The original version of the bulletin is available at
   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS00-080.asp

 - The new version is available at
   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS00-TEST.asp

 - We've also posted a sample of the new mailer format (below) and at
   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/mailer.asp

The mailer format has been the subject of much debate on several
security mailing lists, and the  current format incorporates much of
the feedback we received from those discussions.

We'd like to hear your thoughts about the new bulletin and mailer
formats. The best way to do this is  to send a note to
secfdbck () microsoft com. Because of the volume of mail, we can't reply
to the notes.  However, we do read every one, and we do our best to
implement the suggestions we receive.

- ------Sample Bulletin Mailer Format----------------------------------