Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 675 Denial of Service Attack

From: Popsite <calvin () LAKEWOODPRES ORG>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:20:08 -0800

I suspect that Chuck is a longstanding Q/USWest DSL customer, and according
underestimates the severity of the impact on Qwest.net.  Qwest (then USWest)
has been delivering DSL for about 2.5 years now.  I was the first customer
in my CO to get hooked up.  I had the original Netspeed in bridge mode.
Soon after that Cisco bought out Netspeed and started shipping the units
with a Cisco 675 nameplate, but otherwise untouched internally (open up a
Rev 1.4 model and see the Netspeed ASIC).  Then came the Rev 2.X models,
which is the vast majority of the current installed base, since Q/USWest
shipped the 2.0 models out as free replacements to all existing customers,
and mine was still used in bridge mode.  A year after the initial
installation, I moved and my new installation (with USWest.net) went in as
PPP mode.  So, for the last 18+ months Q/USWest.net installations have been
installed in PPP mode, and Q/USWest has been pushing the PPP mode to all
ISP's, though it is not a requirement (yet).  I am certain that suggesting
that 99% of Q/USWest.net customers are in bridge mode is inaccurate.  If
anything, 99% are in PPP mode.  Mostly only original (first 6-12 months of
availability) customers would still be in bridge mode.
CRC