Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-092

From: "Boyce, Nick" <nick.boyce () EDS COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 19:49:46 -0000

On 02 Dec 2000, Forrest J. Cavalier wrote :

I dislike this new format of MS security bulletins
[...]
It is more convenient to quick scan details in an email,
rather than open up a browser.
[...]
There must be many people who still read their email off-line.
[...]
Will this URL work a year from now ?
[...]
there was a time that microsoft URLs had a half-life of a few
months.  And occasionally required enabling javascript.
[...]
Will Microsoft announce every correction/clarification in email, or
will they sometimes update the web page silently ?
[...]
If I get a vote, I vote to return to the old format.

Couldn't agree more, on every point - hear hear.

I wondered if I'd missed some soothing explanation of the new format. All
I've seen is the comment at the head of MS00-091 saying
  "We are in the process of changing our bulletin mailing format for
  better customer satisfaction. If you have any feedback please send
  mailto:secfdbck () microsoft com."

Let's vote please, Microsoft.

PS: in *this* bulletin (MS00-092) the email says affected software = SQL
Server 6.5 and 2000, whereas the linked web page says affected software =
SQL Server 7.0 and 2000, so ... er ... which is it ?

Nick Boyce
Systems Team,
EDS Healthcare, Bristol, UK