Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bypass Virus Checking

From: rjohnson () TRIPWIRESECURITY COM (Russ Johnson)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:24:35 -0800

I'm using NAV 5.02.00 with all updates and the latest definitions. I have
NOT modified the preferences except to turn off the weekly scan of all
files. (Such a scan is redundant to scanning files as they are executed.
This is the "Auto-Protect" feature of NAV.)

Running the executable "virusexploit0100.exe" caused NAV to alert. It saw
the virus signature and denied access to the file. It did this from memory,
not from a directory. If normal scanning (Auto-Protect) is turned on (as it
is by default) then this exploit should not work in any version of NAV that
I'm familiar with, versions 3.0 for Windows 95 and up.

Russ