Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tempfile vulnerabilities

From: deraadt () CVS OPENBSD ORG (Theo de Raadt)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:36:20 -0700

The terrible /tmp race handling aside...

I suppose then that anyone who attacks a machine which relies on
/dev/random -- a world readable device -- should do the following:

        cat /dev/random > /dev/null &

Crypto software which uses those devices should be doing some kind of
checking to make sure that they are getting at least good entropy.  I
suppose I could even argue that the random devices should make it easy
for customer software to determine that entropy is low.