Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Quick remedy for stream.c

From: dfrasnel () DOXX NET (Frasnelli, Dan)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:52:42 -0800

Planned to reserve my comments until after the code went public, but
since everyone is discussing it now....

A quick bull session on the FreeBSD Security list has produced a workaround
that works on all of the BSDs and in fact anything that runs IPFilter. I
asked Darren Reed, author of IPFilter (which now comes with all of the BSDs)
if it's possible to block the attack using his firewall code, and he says
it is. Darren writes that the rules are as follows:

The only fix you should need with a FreeBSD 3.x (and 4.x?) system
is the option "ICMP_BANDLIM" in your config file.  In my tests
against a target on the same switch running 3.4RC (-stable), this
option proved effective.  Granted you fill up the message buffer as the
system responds, but that's a minor effect.  Tested BSD/OS 4.0.1,
Solaris 2.6/sparc and Linux 2.2.14 (homebrew distr); none were using
filter nor firewall packages, none were affected negatively.
Not to imply stream.c does not affect _some_ configuration
(ie. out-of-box) of the tested operating systems... just that I was
unable to duplicate the supposed DoS.

He's tested these rules on a Solaris 7 system and they seem to defeat
the DoS.

Has anyone actually tested this against Solaris, or is it just assumed
to be vulnerable? I hammered a Solaris 2.6/sparc box (SS20, pl 105181-05)
over a 100Mb crossover for a solid 15 minutes without noticable effect to
established or newly-established sessions.  Verified the packets were
being sent from both the attack and target ends - at the specified rate.

I wonder if we're working with the same 'stream.c' ;-)

Regards,

--
Dan Frasnelli
Security analyst