Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 Run As... Feature

From: Camillo.Sars () F-SECURE COM (Camillo Särs)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:40:56 +0200

jdglaser wrote:
I'd like to add that MS Secure Attention Sequence is not exactly so
trusted. Nothing prevents another Gina from being put into play, nor
prevents process code injection - DLL API hooking.

This requires Administrator privileges, or the ability to act under the
SYSTEM account.  With such privileges, anything is possible.  I wouldn't
agree that this is a problem.

The SAS is a guaranteed way of passing control to a SYSTEM process.
Provided, of course, that your system has not been compromised, and that
any other SAS implementations do not utilize non-privileged code.

Regards,
Camillo

--
Camillo Särs <Camillo.Sars () F-Secure com>       http://www.iki.fi/ged/