Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: strace can lie

From: pavel () UCW CZ (Pavel Machek)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:26:17 +0100

Hi!

When you see snippet from strace, that says:

open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY)           = 3

Do you trust it? You should not.

I'm not sure what your point is, really. strace shows that /etc/passwd
got opened successfully and returned file descriptor 3. If the open()
failed, you'd see -1 as the return value.

I'm pointing out that application could have _any other_ file
opened. Name is not to be trusted because it could have changed
between strace printing it and kernel doing the syscall.

What's deceptive about strace?

That it is not safe w.r.t. races.

--
I'm pavel () ucw cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss () linmodems org