Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Flaw in 3c59x.c or in Kernel?

From: pug () PUG NET (Pug Bainter)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:27:00 -0600

David Malone (dwmalone () MATHS TCD IE) said something that sounded like:
eth1: Too much work in interrupt, status e481. Temporarily disabling
functions(7b7e).
We saw this with some Linux machines in college that were connected
to busy 100Mb/s ethernet. Bill Paul is right when he says ifconfiging
down and then up fixes the hang. To work around the problem we changed
max_interrupt_work from 20 to 200 and I don't think they've seen any
hangs since. (You can find this in the .c file for the driver).

From the source code, max_interrupt_work is a insmod-settable variable
since 3/8/97. I've never tried it admittedly, but will be shortly.

Ciao,

--
Richard "Pug" Bainter                              |        AMD, Inc.
Senior System Engineer                             |      Mail Stop 625