Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MSDE / Re: Default Password Database

From: secure () MICROSOFT COM (Microsoft Security Response Center)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:30:38 -0700

Hello Eric,

MSDE and SQL Server can be thought of as the same for the purposes of
our security patches.  In some of the security bulletins we
specifically
mention MSDE (MS00-014), in others we have not included it.

We've fixed the sa blank login configuration by default in SQL Server
2000.  However, the only way MSDE could have admin rights to the
machine
is if the person who installs it (or scripts the install) chose to
select to run the services as LocalSystem, and chose to run in
"mixed"
security mode instead of Windows NT Integrated.

If you have other specific questions please feel free to email us.

Regards,
Secure () Microsoft com