Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: (New ?) Macro security hole in Word 97

From: brok () RUBIKON PL (Bronek Kozicki)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:34:24 +0200

From: "Bongard, Dominique" <Bongard.Dominique () PMINTL CH>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 9:46 AM

When the next user on my station opened word, the file was automatically
opened, and the macro executed without asking for any confirmation.

I have found the same problem on Windows 2000, running MS Word 2000 (without
SR1). Temp file was saved in my private TEMP directory, not system-wide. I
have international (Polish) version of Windows 2000 and Office 2000.

Together with another vulnerability ("Force Feeding" - bugtraqid 1394) this
could be very dangerous - simple HTML may put
Auto_Recovery_of_eat_me_now.asd
in user's temp directory. When he/she starts MS Word, it will be
executed, regardless of Word macro setting. I have not tested it - "force
feeding" does not work for me.

Regards

B.