Bugtraq mailing list archives

Why to upgrade to: Front Page 2000 Server Extensions 1.2

From: info () IS-WATCH NL (Dimitri van de Giessen)
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:12:45 -0000

Why to upgrade to: Front Page 2000 Server Extensions 1.2

Many user's use frontpage server extensions. But why should
they upgrade to 1.2? Well...We and according to microsoft
other company's also, found faults in shtml.dll

First of all internet user's can see your path's. This is
very simple. Just do:
www.site.com/_vti_bin/shtml.dll/nosuch.htm
Cannot open "D:\Inetpub\virtuals\powerasp\nosuch.htm": no
such file or
folder.
You'll see the path now. This is not handy as you know.

The second thing we also found is that if you make enough
connections to shtml.dll than the server goes to 100%
We've got a screenshot of this handle.

Microsoft knows the problems and they're fixing it in Front
Page 2000 Server Extensions 1.2

The screenshot's are made on a Windows 2000 machine.

Screenshot's:
http://www.is-watch.nl/inetinfo.gif
http://www.is-watch.nl/100.gif
http://www.is-watch.nl/microsoft.jpg <- Microsoft used also
sample files on www.microsoft.com :-) (they are now gone)

Response of microsoft about the DoS attack: