Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BRU Vulnerability

From: jrauch () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Jeremy Rauch)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:05:26 -0700

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 09:28:48AM +0300, Gavrie Philipson wrote:
root wrote:
BRU backup software Vulnerability:

                You can change the log file BRU uses by changing the
                BRUEXECLOG environment variable. Since bru is setuid
                root you can append to any file on the system.

Why, am I wondering, would a sane person install BRU with setuid
permissions?
That's like installing tar with setuid permissions and wondering about
overwritten files.

On my systems, BRU words fine without any setuid/setgid perms.

By default, BRU is installed setuid root.  If it isn't, and is run by a
non-root user, it complains:
bru: [W171] warning - BRU must be owned by root and have suid bit set

Many (most) users who install BRU probably never think to check if its
installed setuid.  Should it be?  Probably not, but it is a very real
vulnerability under a default install.
-j