Bugtraq mailing list archives

xfs + gdm allow DoS of console

From: mike () THEYTALK COM (Mike Leonhard)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:31:49 +0100

RedHat 6.2 further extends the xfs problem with its buggy gdm.  gdm apparently ignores the --nodaemon option specified
to it in inittab.  If the X server fails to load for whatever reason, gdm will immediately reload it.  This causes the
console to become unusable - caught in a loop with the screen flashing every 2 seconds as the X server tries to load.
On a machine with no network login capability the only way out of this situation is to reboot the system by pressing
CTRL-ALT-DEL on the keyboard.  If gdm would exit when the X server quits, then init would reload it in a safe manner -
stopping for 5 min if gdm is reloaded, I believe it is, 10 times in one minute.

RedHat's updated gdm rpm as of last week did not resolve this issue.  I wonder if it was a good idea to move the
'fixed' font into xfs.  I have had good experiences with xfstt, but I have always had my normal X fonts loaded directly
from disk.

Mike_L
mike () theytalk com