Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Mandrake 7.0: /usr/bin/cdrecord gid=80 (strike #2)

From: jgarzik () MANDRAKESOFT COM (Jeff Garzik)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:51:30 -0400

Dan Kaminsky wrote:

U may say gid=80 (cdwriter) is useless but anyways here is the xploit

If you've got cdwriter access, and they have a SCSI hard drive, then you
should theoretically have read/write access to their raw partitions.  I'm
sure I don't need to go into depth on what that should mean.

The person who originally reported this is only using "medium" security
level.  I asked him in private to raise the security level to 4 or 5 and
report again, but never heard back.

Under Linux-Mandrake, security level 4/5 involves a filesystem scan and
possibly chmod, independent of individual programs in most cases.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.