Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NAI/McAfee Viruscan Engine does not scan .VBS files by default

From: rvoo () OCE NL (Roy Voortman)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:53:42 +0100

Bram Kerkhof wrote:

SYNOPSIS
The default NAI/McAfee Viruscan Engine configuration does not include
.VBS in the list of program file extensions, thereby skipping .VBS
files when scanning. The VBS/Freelink virus and possible other viruses
could go undetected.

SOFTWARE VERSIONS
- - McAfee Viruscan NT Engine 4.0.3a
- - McAfee Viruscan 9x Engine 4.0.3
- - McAfee Netshield Engine 4.0.3
- - McAfee Groupshield for Notes Engine 4.50
remark: These are only the software versions we currently use in
production. Others may be affected too.

<snip>

WORKAROUND
Two possible solutions:
- - Add the .VBS extension to the list of program file extensions in the
on-access monitor, and the viruscan program... Keep in mind that
different viruscan programs have their own lists!
- - Select "Scan All Files"

Another workaround may be to install the "super-dat" file. This updates
the scan engine to 4.0.50 and includes the VBS-files in the program file
extensions. At least my Winnt 4.0 pc with the latest super-dat file
installed showed VBS in the program file extensions.

Roy Voortman

Learn as if you will live forever
Live as if you will die tomorrow