Bugtraq mailing list archives

Distributing Patches in Email (was: RE: EZ Shopper 3.0 shopping cart CGI remote command execution)

From: blake () HOMEPORT ORG (Scott Blake)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:37:19 -0500

As someone who works for a vendor that does distribute product updates
via email, I feel that I need to respond.  An exception the rule Marc
mentions should be non-executable, strongly signed updates.  Concerned
users can easily verify the signature manually (the software does so
automatically) to be certain of the file's provenance and integrity.
A key advantage to this approach is that the software can be fully
up-to-date without admins needing to spare cycles (or can be fully
manual, user's choice).  Furthermore, there is no need to make any
adjustments to firewalls -- the inbound mail is routed to your normal
mail server and the software retrieves it from there.  Oh, the
software I'm refering to is HackerShield.

That said, running executables received in email is never a good idea
(possibly excepting strongly signed files).

-scott

Btw, if anyone sees a flaw in our approach, I'd love to hear it.

------
Scott Blake
BindView's RAZOR Team
http://razor.bindview.com/