Bugtraq mailing list archives

Security Bug in Jana HTTP Server

From: eax () MAD SCIENTIST COM (eAX -)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:21:20 -0400

Hello Bugtraqers,
I found a directory travelling bug again, this time in JANA HTTP
Server software available as freeware from http://www.jana-server.ocm.de .

Here is a copy of the mail I sended to the author.

eAX

Hello Thomas,

I got your proxy/perver Software and I really liked it, but I found a serious security bug in your HTTP-server software
(enabled by default).I think you know that kind of bugs, because it seems that you tried to prevent that kind of
misuse, but I found a way how it still works. Here is how to exploit the bug for cracking systems running Jana. I
tested it with Jana 1.45 on Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

1. Open a browser window
2. Type i.e http://the.server.com/./.././.././.././windows/win.ini

You will notice that the server offers you to download win.ini (if Jana is installed in the
default path, otherwise a modification is requiered) . I think you can imagine how to modify
the URL, to download any file you want.

Don't be down now, I already found and reported a lot of bugs of that kind in other software
packages. It seems many programmers (also provessional ones) don't really check for such esay
to find bugs.

eAX [from good old germany]

P.S.: I hope you will realese a bug fix soon! ;)
P.SS.: Jana is very cool, good work!
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com