Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: non-exec stack

From: gert () GREENIE MUC DE (Gert Doering)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 21:12:51 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 10:06:04AM +0200, Casper Dik wrote:
Here's an overflow exploit that works on a non-exec stack on x86 boxes.
It demonstrates how it is possible to thread together several libc
calls.  I have not seen any other exploits for x86 that have done this..

Non-executable stacks do not work in Solaris/x86.

It is impossible to give page level protection that prevents
execution on the x86 architecture.

Hmmm, so how do they do that on Linux?  I thought Solar Designer had a
non-exec-stack patch for Linux.

gert

--
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert () greenie muc de