Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to release a new Outlook Security patch

From: jra () BAYLINK COM (Jay R. Ashworth)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:53:38 -0400

On Monday, May 15, 2000, at 9:16:30 AM, you wrote:
Business Week is reporting that Microsoft is preparing patches
for Outlook 98 and Outlook 2000 to help prevent Email worms like
LoveBug and Melissa.  The article is available online at:

   http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/may2000/nf00515d.htm

The patches will do 2 things:

   1.  Prevent users from running VBScript and other executable
       programs that come in as Email attachments.

Alas, not exactly.  The patches, enumerated more fully in several
articles pointed to by my Metafilter posting on the topic a few days
ago <http://www.metafilter.com/detail.cfm?link_ID=1699>, cause Outlook
to automatically at least hide, and possibly delete outright, *any
executable attachment at all* that the mail program ever receives.

This "throw the baby out with the bathwater" reaction is so typically
Microsoft; the people whom it inconveniences won't blame *Microsoft*,
they'll blame people like me, who were complaining about the problem.

"It's your fault: if you hadn't bitched about this, Microsoft wouldn't
have done that".

Shyeah.  Right.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Member of the Technical Staff