Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [nohack] Yet another way to disguise files.

From: hornlo () MILLSAPS EDU (Larry Olin Horn)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:22:20 -0500

Note that you need to use regedit.exe, not regedt32.exe, to search for the
'NeverShowExt's.  Also, you need to reboot for your changes to take effect.

Win98SE:

    1) takes affect immediately (may need to "Refresh" a view)

    2) IE 5 thinks it's no longer the default viewer; if you allow
       it to set itself back, it adds "NeverShowExt" to .url key

BTW, rather than totally remove it, I just renamed NSE to "REM-NeverShowExt"
so I could find those extensions again later.  I did not add "AlwaysShowExt".

Corel also had a number of hidden extensions.

loh