Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Eudora Sensitive to Long Filenames

From: jimr () QUALCOMM COM (Jim Riley)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:01:51 -0700

At 07:00 PM 5/23/00, Ron Moritz wrote:
Ultor (and others),

I agree with Seth Cohn's request to posted controlled samples to the list
in that I also suffered from Ultor's attachment (and the one submitted
several weeks back).  I believe that some technical points can be made
without including samples like an attachment with a filename of 267+
characters.  However, this post is not to discuss whether to submit samples
or not but rather it is an attempt to push the Eudora folks to fix their
own bug.

Eudora 4.3.1 is proving to be fairly unstable and objects with filenames
this long that get lodged in the Eudora attachment directory cause the mail
client to crash (what a surprise).  (If I remember my history, Eudora has
long been sensitive to attachment issues.)  You'd think that Qualcomm would
be open to bug reports but they've not been responsive to my emails to
support.  Hopefully they'll pay attention now that it's been posted to
Bugtraq.

Eudora 4.3.2, which was just released, has a change that prevents the
problems associated with very long attachment names.

Ron, I'm curious what address you sent your bug reports to. We appreciate
and pay attention to bug reports, but we generally don't reply to them
unless we need more information; this applies to messages sent to messages
sent to eudora-bugs, win-eudora-bugs, and mac-eudora-bugs () qualcomm com. We
didn't have an autoresponder on those addresses for a while there, so I can
understand how there might have been confusion as to whether to expect a reply.

By the way, Eudora 4.3.x users requiring technical support should refer to
the Help/Technical Support menu in Eudora.

Jim Riley
Eudora Team
QUALCOMM Incorporated