Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: tcpdump workaround against dnsloop exploit.

From: scut () NB IN-BERLIN DE (Sebastian)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 12:01:12 +0200

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:32:26PM -0500, THE INFAMOUS wrote:

Hi,

Hi.

Here is my patch to tcpdump against the dnsloop exploit...
I have really no knowledge of the dns internal at all,
so this is probably not ( and this is not ) the good way of preventing this.

It prevents only the "jump-on-itself" type of attack, but it leaves
the decoder still vulnerable to other type of compression attacks where
more then one label is involved. The only secure way is to use a
label counter such as in the BIND decompression routines.

+                               /*
+                                * If we got two time the same data ptr,
+                                * this mean we are looping.
+                                */
+                               if ( cp == old)
+                                       return NULL;
+                               old = cp;

Imagine something like:

alabel<pointer-ahead-to-b-label>blabel<pointer-to-a-label>

ciao,
scut

--
- scut () nb in-berlin de - http://nb.in-berlin.de/scut/ --- you don't need a --