Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: vlock vulnerability (solution: w00w00's CAP)

From: Matt Conover <shok () CAMEL ETHEREAL NET>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:37:17 -0800

I didn't verify this vulnerability (I don't have vlock), but w00w00 made a
related utility a few years ago called CAP (Console Access
Protection) that does not have this vulnerability (AFAIK).

It was written in conjunction with an article on console IOCTLs
(http://www.w00w00.org/articles.html).  CAP is available at
http://www.w00w00.org/files/misc/conutils/CAP.c.  It will prevent new
login attempts after three failures for three minutes (or as defined), so
the method you used will not work either.  In addition, once the password
is properly entered, it states whether the terminal had previously been
access and the number of failed attempts.  The password to unlock will be
the root's password.  It will support both shadowed and non-shadowed if
NO_USE_SHADOW is defined.

CTRL-ALT-DEL isn't blocked because it serves little purpose (though
it can be disabled through a sysctl).  Other than rebooting, there is no
practical way to get around it.  I'm assuming the administrator will sit
there until ioctl() to lock the terminal completes (a few clock ticks).

Matt