Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Shred v1.0 Fix

From: Chiaki Ishikawa <Chiaki.Ishikawa () PERSONAL-MEDIA CO JP>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:30:56 +0900

Hi,

Looking at the fix, I have some comments.

Shouldn't we check

 - the return value of fwrite() [Yes, I am paranoia.],

 - the return value of unlink()  [ ditto ]

 - the return value of fopen in filesize(),

 (Since we call filesize() from overwrite() in which
  fopen() for the file in question is done anyway,
  we might check the filesize in overwrite() AFTER
  obtaining the fopen() without requiring
  filesize() to fopen/fclose. Or we just pass
  the fp instead of the filename...)

Should we not

 - abort if fstat() in filesize somehow failed [something is
   really screwed up if so.]

 - warn the user just in case the remaining link count
   will NOT be zero and the overwritten file
   is still referenced somehow under a different name.

Just a thought.

--
     Ishikawa, Chiaki        ishikawa () personal-media co jp.NoSpam  or
 (family name, given name) Chiaki.Ishikawa () personal-media co jp.NoSpam