Bugtraq mailing list archives

(forw) Re: Shred 1.0 Bug Report

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright () WINTELCOM NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:21:55 -0700

I'm sending this one last time because I feel that allowing people
to comment about "fixing" shred when in reality it's a piece of
worthless software.  The only "fix" would be kernel support to do
so as outlined in the email I sent.  Wietse agrees with me about
the points raised here.  He also raised the obvious point of such
information being leaked through swap and recoverable from memory
while the system is still running.

Shred needs kernel support to work properly and it's giving people a
false sense of security.  I would also be hesitant to run software
that the author failed to fix properly even with detailed instructions
as how to fix it were detailed, he obviously failed to roll his own
the first time, and doing so again wasn't very successful.

Using shred to wipe files is about as practical as ignoring friction
during a physics equation, it looks right, but it's horribly off.

You can continue to ignore and not relay my rants about useless
and dangerous software on this list.  It is a bit disapointing
that it's the Linux community that suffers from ignorance of
these problems and a refusal to come down hard on the authors of
junk/dangerous software.

My concern is that such programs will be ported to other systems and
may soon wind up on one of my workstations or servers.

People complaining about the stupid thing not checking return values
from syscalls are trying to use a band-aid to fix a severed head.

I don't see the point of discussing this program any further on
this list, the focus afaik of Bugtraq is security and I don't see
shred offering much of it.

-Alfred

----- Forwarded message from Alfred Perlstein <bright () wintelcom net> -----