Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris libc locale format string exploit

From: Atro Tossavainen <atossava () CC HELSINKI FI>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:54:25 +0300

On Sep 8, 2000 Warning3 posted an exploit for the Solaris
libc locale format string vulnerability. This was more than
a month ago.

This bug has not been fixed yet. The Securityfocus vulnerability database
shows no patches for the locale bug on Solaris. Sun's website does not
even mention the existance of this bug.

My local Sun rep told me on Oct 3 that they have fixes ready for all
supported software releases and platforms and that evaluation patches
would be sent to customers in a few days.

Obviously not.

I asked him again yesterday, with the response that the kernel update
process for all supported software releases and platforms is rather
tedious and lengthy, and that's why it's taking so long.

I'm not happy, and the people I work for are even less so, but it's
better than not hearing back from them at all.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)        | The Institute of Biotechnology at the
Systems Analyst               | University of Helsinki, Finland, employs