Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Minor bug in Pagelog.cgi

From: HT Regz <kickass () H3LL 2Y NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:46:20 -0500

At this time this is just a theory, since i can't seem to find any sites
running pagelog.cgi to test it, or a copy of the code anywhere to take a
look at it. But, in theory, if you were to append a %20 to the address you
should be able to open any file it is capable of displaying.
example:
http://server/cgi-bin/pagelog.cgi?display=../../../../etc/passwd
this would attempt to open passwd.log as I understand the posting below,
but what if you were to enter something along the lines of
http://server/cgi-bin/pagelog.cgi?display=../../../../etc/passwd%20something
if this software proves to be like most other cgi programs with the
display options this would work. The same could also work for the creation
of a file, again i don't know the complete workings behind this program
and it might have counter measures to fight that..
Just thought I'd present this theory to you people, so that you could try
it for yourselves.

Tyler Reguly
System Admin/Webmaster h3ll.2y.net
Email: root () h3ll 2y net