Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Double clicking on MS Office documents from Windows Explorer may execute arbitrary programs in some cases

From: Microsoft Security Response Center <secure () MICROSOFT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:58:41 -0700

Hi All -
We'd like to thank Mr. Guninski for giving us an opportunity to
investigate this issue, and for working with us to provide additional
data as the investigation progressed.  Both the Office and IE
Security Teams checked into the report, and our overall conclusion is
that, although there are circumstances under which a trojaned .dll
could be launched as discussed in the report, there isn't a
compelling exploit scenario.  Specifically, it would not be possible
to launch a trojaned .dll simply by visiting a web site and opening
an Office document -- instead, the user would need to take a series
of deliberate steps that we believe would only occur as part of a
social engineering attack.

We considered two cases.  In the first one, a malicious user would
seek to persuade a user to download a malicious version of
riched20.dll or msi.dll onto the user's machine, in the same
directory as an Office document.  The malicious user would then
persuade the user to open the Office document.  In the end, this case
turns out to be simply a case of persuading the user to download and
run untrusted code -- and if the malicious user can do this, there
are far easier ways to accomplish the same goal.

The second case is the more interesting one.  In this case, a
malicious user would host an Office document on his web site, put a
trojaned riched20.dll or msi.dll into the same directory as the
Office document, and then seek to persuade a user into launching the
Office document.  Our investigation found that this case has
significant limitations:
*       We found no means by which the malicious user could cause the
trojaned .dll to launch automatically when a user visited his web
site.  Opening an Office document via IE, Outlook, or Outlook Express
would not result in the .dll being launched under any conditions.  In
our tests, we were only able to launch the .dll if we mapped a UNC
share to the malicious user's server and opened the Office document
using Windows Explorer or the Start | Run command.  (We confirmed by
code inspection that Windows Explorer and Start | Run use a
completely different method of launching .dlls than IE, Outlook and
Outlook Express).
*       Even if the user could be persuaded to use Windows Explorer or
Start | Run to open an Office document on a remote site, the trojaned
copy of riched20.dll or msi.dll would only launch if a bona fide
version was *not* already in memory.  If the user had previously used
Word, Wordpad, Outlook, or any of a host of other programs that loads
the affected .dlls, the version already in memory, rather than the
trojaned version, would be used.

If anyone can devise a compelling exploit scenario for this issue --
one that would allow a malicious user to exploit it without the
user's consent -- we'd be most interested in investigating it.
Regards,

Scott Culp
Security Program Manager
Microsoft Security Response Center