Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Double clicking on MS Office documents from Windows Explorer may execute arbitrary programs in some cases

From: John Wiltshire <jw () QITS NET AU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:54:09 +1000

The problem isn't that windows automatically looks in the same path as the
executable for libraries (which is what you are saying), but that windows
first searches the current directory ('.') for libraries to load.  Removing
the '.' from the path would solve this problem - there would be no reason
not to still search the same directory as the executable which would allow
alternate versions of DLLs to be loaded for different applications.

John Wiltshire