Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Slackware 8.0, 7.1 Vulnerability: /usr/bin/locate

From: Josh Smith <josh () viper falcon-networks com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:04:17 -0400 (EDT)

        In slackware, it is constantly owned by nobody.  However, even if
it is only owned for nobody for a certain period of time, it just creates
a race condition and is still "a problem."

This don't say whether the locate database is always owned by nobody or
just temporary. (I am not at a slackware box.) I am just curious, because
some operating systems first create the database as nobody and then
immediately change the ownership (via a weekly cron job for example).

If it is just temporary, then I assume an exploit must be timed.

But, if it always owned by nobody, then that is a problem. Nothing should
really be owned by "nobody" -- isn't that the purpose of the unprivileged
user?