Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HTML Form Protocol Attack

From: Barnaby Gray <bgrg2 () cam ac uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:04:26 +0100

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:04:49PM -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
You're right, after attempted again I managed to get it to login to my
FTP server, but ftp was not the best protocol to try it on considering
the way data back from the server is sent, which there's no way of
fiddling.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but:

What I meant is to get any useful data back over the FTP DATA
connection (for LIST, RETR, STOR commands, etc.) you either have to
use a passive mode transfer in which case you need to get another
connection to connect to an arbitrary port on the server.  Or an
active mode transfer in which case you need to be able to listen on a
port specified in the PORT command. I believe this is a risk for
tunneling back through firewalls as pointed out by others with the
recent linux 2.4 iptables PORT problems.

Barnaby