Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Arkeia Possible remote root & information leakage

From: Joe Glass <joe () glass cl msu edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:13:28 -0400

More importantly, you could run a command as root on any box that is
backed up by Arkeia.  (I'm sure you already know this, but it wasn't
completely clear in this e-mail).  I forwarded your e-mail to the Arkeia
userlist.  It seems as though the moderators at Knox don't let these
e-mails show up on their userlist though.  I forwarded the last security
issue that was talked about on bugtrack to the userlist serveral times,
but it never appeared.  Which doesn't make sense to me.

##Implications
the password (effectively a root password) once you have access through
the gui, you have the possibility of running a command from the gui
before and after the backup job. This command is run as root and can be
anything. Therefore you have full access to the box to do with as you
please.

--
Joe Glass
Technical Support Services, Michigan State University