Bugtraq mailing list archives

Microsoft's Outlook Express 6 "E-mail attachment security" Flawed

From: "Arie Slob" <arie () infinisource com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:46:00 +0100

Hi,

I was contacted by David McSpadden, a Network Administrator from the Indiana Members Credit Union who pointed out the
following:

---------------------------

I was wondering if you could replicate something I have found.
I set up attachment blocking as per (Q291387) on my Windows 2000 Professional Sp2 workstation for testing.  Thinking we
might implement this as policy on all of our workstations with Outlook Express 6.0.  It did correctly block the
attachments of the extensions I specified.  However, if I simply try and forward the email the 'blocked' item appears
and I can then save or open the attachment.  This creates a dilema.  Why should I even try and stop the attachments if
I can get to them anyway.

Please let me know if I am crazy or if I have found another hole in Outlook Express.
---------------------------

Well, I think he's right. I tested it on XP, set OE to block attachments.... that works... until you press FORWARD....
then you have full access...........

I contacted Microsoft (secure () microsoft com) who wrote back with the attached email.

I have published and article on our Web site about this:

http://www.windows-help.net/microsoft/oe6-attach.html

Regards,

Arie Slob,
VP Information Systems
InfiniSource, Inc.
<arie () infinisource com>

--- Begin Message --- From: "Microsoft Security Response Center" <secure () microsoft com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:00:20 -0800
Dear Arie

Thank you for taking the time to email us.  The capability to forward an
email with an attachment is a feature in Outlook Express that is
by-design. As you mention, Outlook Express does allow the blocking of
unsafe attachments.

It looks like Outlook Express successfully blocked the attachment in the
Inbox for David McSpadden.

It is important for users to recognize that greyed-out attachments are
not safe to be opened and, users should be deleting, not forwarding an
email with a greyed-out attachment.

Many thanks again for taking the time to email us.

secure () microsoft com