Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: vixie cron possible local root compromise

From: Mate Wierdl <mw () THALES MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:32:11 -0600

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:21:14PM +0100, Robert Varga wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:46:20PM -0800, Blake R. Swopes wrote:
Considering what overflows the buffer (your username), it would seem that
you'd need root access to begin with in order to craft an exploit. Am I
wrong?

Well this could be used to gain root privileges on free shell-account
servers, which don't do the proper bounds checking and the registration
process is fully automated...

On my RedHat 7.0 box, you can add a username longer than 20
characters using standard tools:

# useradd Arnold.Schwarzenegger
# su - Arnold.Schwarzenegger
[Arnold.Schwarzenegger@thales Arnold.Schwarzenegger]$ crontab -e
Segmentation fault

I think this example negates many of the arguments in this thread,
does not it?

Mate
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis