Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: your mail

From: Hannah Schröter <hannah () SCHLUND DE>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:11:45 +0100

Hello!

On 02/16, Theo de Raadt wrote:
[... USER_LDT ...]

 * OpenBSD has the same bug, in code inherited directly from NetBSD.

This last sentence is incorrect.

OpenBSD does not have the needed option to enable this configured in
any kernel or kernel configuration file we supply; the option is so
poorly documented that noone would compile a kernel with it; no
userland or kernel software that we know of at present requires it;
and thus we are hardpressed to think of a user who might use it.

hannah@c3po:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf $ grep '^[^#].*USER_LDT' *
DISKLESS:option         USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE
ELBERETH:option         USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE
HERMES:option           USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE
LUCIFIER:option VM86,USER_LDT,LKM,KTRACE
NETTAN:option           USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE
OPRAH:option            USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE
PETRA:option            USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE

That's from 15 Jan 2001, i.e. after 2.8 release. Now let's check
really current CVS:
DISKLESS 1.28 still has it
ELBERETH 1.23 still has it
HERMES 1.21 still has it
LUCIFER 1.24 still has it
NETTAN 1.40 still has it
OPRAH 1.25 still has it
PETRA 1.24 also still has it

Of course, in GENERIC (1.240), there's the line:
#option         USER_LDT        # user-settable LDT; used by WINE

The comment doesn't indicate that there might be a bug. Also,
OpenBSD ships a port for WINE (/usr/ports/emulators/wine). The
description says the user must enable USER_LDT for WINE to work
and doesn't advise about any bug.

This bug is `disabled'.  (We disabled this feature a very very long
time ago because ... well, nevermind, you've heard it before.)

The problem was fixed at the same time as NetBSD fixed it; we even
told them why it didn't apply to OpenBSD users, and are surprised that
was left out of the advisory.  Oh well.

Where do you know from that there is no OpenBSD user using 2.8 stable
and using the Wine port?

Anyways, it is fixed, and will affect noone.  We don't think we're
going to put an advisory up for it.

Where should said OpenBSD-2.8-stable-user (or release + official errata)
get a fix from?

Kind regards,

Hannah.
--
  Hannah Schröter                Technik              hannah () schlund de
  Bei Schlund + Partner AG       Erbprinzenstr. 4-12  D-76133 Karlsruhe