Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [RHSA-2001:013-05] Three security holes fixed in new kernel

From: Solar Designer <solar () OPENWALL COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:40:48 +0300

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 06:03:00PM -0500, bugzilla () REDHAT COM wrote:
Thanks to Solar Designer for finding the sysctl bug, and
for the versions of the sysctl and ptrace patches we used.

Thanks for crediting me, but actually it's Chris Evans who found the
sysctl bug that affects Linux 2.2.  I only provided patches.

I found a very similar sysctl "signedness" bug a few years back,
fixed in Linux 2.0.34, but it's not an issue on Linux 2.2.  So all
credit for the discovery of this new bug is to Chris Evans.

As I am posting this anyway, -- these two fixes (but _not_ the DoS
one, yet) are included in 2.2.18-ow4 and 2.0.39-ow2 patches, which
I've just released:

        http://www.openwall.com/linux/

Actually, 2.0.39 only needed the execve/ptrace race condition fix.

--
/sd