Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Nortel CES (3DES version) offers false sense of securitywhen usi ng IPSEC

From: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff () BITWIZARD NL>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:06:22 +0100

Kent Borg wrote:
Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff () BITWIZARD NL> wrote (or possibly quoted
someone else):
The use of double and triple encryption does not always provide the
additional security that might be expected.

Yes, but an additional step of independent encryption (using a
completely unrelated key) should not weaken a good crypto algorithm.
For if it did, an attacker could take a message s/he is trying to
crack and encrypt it one more time before trying to crack it.

I think the problem with 112-bit double-DES was not that it was weaker
than single-DES, it was that it wasn't stronger.

Similarly: 3DES isn't stronger than 112 bits. I'm not claiming that
3DES is weaker than 112 bits. I claim that some smart people found
that cracking 3DES requires only on the order of 2^112 operations, and
that keying 3DES with 112bits of significant key was possible, and
that therefore it is useless to use 3DES with more than 112 bits of
key.

Why is DES keyed with 56 bits, and not 64? Nobody seemed to know until
a few years ago someone showed that keyed with 56 or 64 bits,
cryptanalysis of DES requires 2^56 operations. The same should be done
with 3DES: If cryptanalysis can be done in 2^112 operations, it should
be keyed with 112 bits, and not with an arbitrarily higher number.

(now if you do the 112->168 expansion of the key foolishly, you may
end up with an even weaker encryption scheme than 112 bits. But the
smart guys proved that you can key with 112 bits and still require
2^112 operations to crack it)

-kb, the Kent who encoded this message in rot-13, and, for *extra*
security, encoded it the same way a second time.

Showing that if you do crypto foolishly, you can cause get a false
sense of security. If rot13 had a 1-bit key, and so doing it twice has
a two-bit key. Suppose that 1bit key would be enough for my purposes.
Then having a two-bit key would be security for the future! Right?

No! If my application requires 130 bit security, and 3DES advertizes
168 bits of security, then things go wrong. The good guys believe the
ads. The bad guys know better: 3DES only offers 112 bits of security.
This is BAD!

                        Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff () BitWizard nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.